- Adopt an evidence-based tool for staff to use to assess changes in a patient’s health status.
- Have a system in place for notifying a supervisor if a staff member notices a change in the patient’s health status.
- Adopt an evidence-based treatment protocol that has time-specific treatment goals for clinicians to follow when there is a suspicion of sepsis.
- Provide regular education and training for staff on the provider’s sepsis protocol.
- Utilizing a standardized screening tool is an effective strategy to aid in the early recognition of sepsis.
- For facilities that have the capacity to begin treatment, use of a standard treatment bundle for sepsis is effective in reducing mortality.