Icons report a concern 02

It’s important to report safety concerns for your immediate well-being and for the safety of future patients.

Report to a health care facility

A good first step is to report your concern directly to the facility where you are getting care. Most hospitals have trained staff to work with patient and consumer complaints. Use this list to find the right department at hospitals in Massachusetts. At surgery centers, nursing homes, and all other facility types, contact someone on the management team to voice your concerns. Many organizations have grievance processes for residents and patients to submit complaints, including concerns about unsafe conditions or treatment.

Report to a state or federal agency

In serious cases, you may feel the need to report an incident or other concern to a state or federal agency. If you are unsure where to begin, contact the Massachusetts Department of Public Health at 1-800-462-5540.