Last month, the National Academy of Medicine (NAM) released a 300-page report that applies the same systems thinking that has become a mainstay of patient safety work to the challenge of clinician burnout.
The report, Taking Action Against Clinician Burnout: A Systems Approach to Professional Well Being, organizes NAM’s recommendations under six goals:
- Create positive work environments.
- Create positive learning environments.
- Reduce administrative burden.
- Enable technology solutions.
- Provide support to clinicians and learners.
- Invest in research.